April 22nd marks the 50th anniversary of Earth Day! From the first 1970s teach-ins to today’s global movement – Earth Day serves as a day of engagement to celebrate our beautiful planet and to create a sustainable path forward for the future of our world.
Happy EARTH DAY! Our two favorites for today are coloring Earth Day pages. Bonus points for hanging them in your windows and reusing paper to print them! And “chalk the walk” – with scenes of the outdoors or an Earth Day message. But we hope you'll take an “every day is earth day” approach with the other eight ideas to keep the momentum going.
The first Earth Day in 1970 provided a voice to an emerging consciousness and put environmental concerns on the front page. Today, Earth Day is widely recognized as the largest secular observance in the world, marked by more than a billion people every year as a day of action to change human behavior and create global, national, and local policy changes.
Have fun today and get creative to spread some positive Earth Day vibes:
1. Share your love of Earth Day today by coloring! (link to print coloring pages: https://bit.ly/cn-coloringpages)
2. Chalk the walk. Draw a scene of the outdoors and share an Earth Day message!
3. Change paper bills to online billing, saving trees and the fuel it takes to deliver bills to your home.
4. Use cloth or reusable towels instead of single-use paper towels.
5. Unplug your devices when not in use.
6. Choose reading over carbon intensive streaming.
7. Use less plastic. (ex. bar shampoo or toothbrushes with replaceable heads)
8. Reuse the other side of printed paper and/or print double sided.
9. Choose nontoxic chemicals in your home and office.
10. Go a day without throwing anything away or generating any trash.