People of CN: Angie Brose

by Cat Brutvan

“In Germany, students are required to spend at least three months in a building trade — I decided to do an apprenticeship as a cabinetmaker. Before I ever started studying architecture, I became a master cabinetmaker, so, it’s safe to…

People of CN: Klaus Perkins

by Cat Brutvan

Klaus is part of the one percent. In this case, the estimated one percent of structural engineers who are involved with FEMA’s Urban Search & Rescue (USAR) or the NCSEA’s Structural Engineers Emergency Response (SEER) groups. He serves as a…

5 Ways to Improve School Safety – for Free

by Becky Brady

Safety in schools continues to be a topic of everyday conversation. While there are many ways to improve school safety, these often focus on physical changes to the school environment and, as a result, are difficult to achieve unless there…

A Personal Perspective on the Ethics of Sustainability

by Chris Stone

I am convinced that there is perhaps no single profession in which the practitioner’s need to embrace sustainability and resiliency is more important than in engineering. Few, if any, professions have a greater impact on public health, safety, and welfare.…

Supporting Law Enforcement United’s Road to Hope

by Dan Walker

As a retired auxiliary police officer and a designer of public safety training facilities, it is incredibly important to me to find ways to give back to my local and national law enforcement community. Public safety personnel play a critical…